Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thing 7: Communication Tools

Our library system has been using email for several years. I think that it is one of the best things that has happened and that we now take for granted. I like being able to ask staff at another location or at the regional office about something but not feel like I am interrupting them in the way that I might be with a phone call. Also, it is really helpful to have a record of the transactions and it's also helpful when we use "reply all" so that everyone concerned can share about an issue or topic.

Yesterday I wanted to try out instant messaging as part of this "thing". I was not able to download Windows Live Messenger either at work or at home. I then signed up for Google Talk. It was pretty exciting today to do my first IM with another staff person participating in 23 things. While I don't see myself IMing for personal use (that could change), I do see where the day is coming, sooner rather than later, when we will use IM for reference transactions. We would need to plan coverage for this service at the regional level.

I took part in an OPAL web conference called "Meet Me in St. Louis: the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo" presented by James Gilbert. I enjoyed it and learned a lot on a historical topic. When I signed in, I received a "Welcome" message but I did not know how to respond. I noticed that the next person who signed in was able to respond. The conference was a lecture and not intended as an interactive class. I have taken part in a Minitex webinar in the past. It's a very helpful tool for education without the expense of travel. When I see all the topics that are offered on both sites, I think, if only a person had more time. It's great to know that the opportunities are there.

No comments: